Sung Slavers should devise a coordinated response to player attacks. If a lone ship destroyed multiple stations, there would realistically be some kind of response. What should that response be?
A few basic principles:
- The response should make gameplay more interesting not just harder.
- The player should have choices to deal with the response, even if it just means avoiding Sung stations.
- There should be commensurate rewards. Befriending the Huari is one benefit; perhaps there can be others (or we can increase the benefits from the Huari).
Here are some ideas for responses:
- Building defenses: Perhaps Sung stations get more defenses. The Sung could build additional defense turrets, gunships, etc. Maybe after destroying a certain number of stations, Dragon slavers start appearing to guard stations.
- Timed hunting parties: When the player destroys a Sung station in a system, we send an alert to other stations in the system. After a certain period of time, other Sung stations send out a hunting party to kill the player. Of course, if the player destroys other stations first, no hunting party gets sent out. But messages get sent to other systems (again, based on a timer), and Sung stations in other systems will eventually send out hunting parties. The player must keep traveling forwards to stay ahead of the alert messages.
- Diplomatic efforts: Perhaps the Sung Slavers contact the Commonwealth and threaten to go to war unless the Commonwealth reins in the player. The Commonwealth could then impose penalties on the player (no docking with Commonwealth stations, or something). The player would get a warning the next time they docked at a Commonwealth station: stop killing Sung Stations or face penalties. Alternatively, the Commonwealth could decide that a war with the Sung is ok (or at least tolerable) and actively help the player to destroy additional Sung Stations.
- All-out war: Perhaps the Sung decide that the only way to stop the player is to destroy all stations that supply the player. That means destroying all Commonwealth/Corporate stations in any Sung system.
What do you all think? Please make suggestions in the comments.