This code around line 2294 in CTranscendenceModel.cpp

	if (m_iState != stateInGame)
		{
		*retsError = CONSTLIT("Unable to display screen while not in system.");
		return false;
		}

Is somehow getting triggered by The Backroads by Assumed Pseudonym... but only on transcendence installations that are not his it seems. I tried a fresh install, logged in, let it download my collection, then started up a new game with just AE-TBR enabled. Once ingame I pressed 's' to bring up the ship screen and got this error instead.

assumedpseudonym on 5/19/2015 9:35 AM:

 …Which is really weird because I am completely unable to reproduce the error, myself. And believe me, I’ve tried. I even used a brand spankin’ new downloaded zip of both Transcendence 1.6b3 (about fifteen minutes before 1.6b4 was put up) and TBR . I also did not sign in on the game, ensuring that I did not have any mods or expansions installed that TBR could be clashing with.

wolfy on 5/19/2015 1:32 PM:

I just tested again without the collections dir downloaded. Still doesnt work.

This leads me to think that perhaps users running it natively are subject to this glitch, but somehow users in wine are not? That and using 1.6b4 instead of 1.6b3 are the only differences in setup

assumedpseudonym on 5/19/2015 2:27 PM:

 I just tested it on a Windows computer, myself, with a fresh download of 1.6b4 and TBR. I got the error. This seems to support Wolfy’s hypothesis that somehow native Windows users are getting an error that Wine users don’t.

wolfy on 5/19/2015 3:57 PM:

I believe another bug tied to this is that when gating out, you get stuck in an infinite loop in the loading screen.

assumedpseudonym on 5/19/2015 5:09 PM:

 That does indeed also seem to be a Windows/Wine problem, since the Windows computer I tested on gave me that same problem and my Linux computer doesn’t.

assumedpseudonym on 5/19/2015 9:48 PM:

 Further SCIENCE! seems to indicate that the problem is in the 1.6 betas. Running the current TBR on Windows with 1.5 does not cause this bug.

assumedpseudonym on 5/20/2015 3:55 AM:

 Having gotten to spend a bit of time on a Windows computer this evening, I got to SCIENCE! a bit more with disabling individual parts of TBR until I finally found the culprit: &stAEAdvancedMiningHoldVirtual;
 It’s in TBRStations.xml way down toward the bottom. It’s a virtual station I made for the purpose of painting an overlay on ore-bearing asteroids shortly after the mining tables got overhauled.
 Commenting out the virtual station fixed the problem, though why it was a problem to begin with — especially since it was only a problem under Windows and not Wine — is probably worth investigating further.